Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer's almost over...


WARNING--I am writing this while feeling very emotional and a bit nostalgic.  I'm a little sad today about Hannah going to preschool.  I know it's silly-- it's only two mornings a week!  She is so excited to go and make new friends.  I'm happy to finally get some alone time with Harris.  All in all it's a good thing...but it still makes me sad.  Pre-school signifies an era to me, that she is about to begin.  All of these fears begin to creep into my mind.  Will this be a positive experience for her, one that will draw her heart closer to the Lord and not away?  Will my opinion still be the most important one?  Will she still love me the same when her world widens?  Ahhh!  So many questions whose answers only the Lord knows.  Ken and I have been spending a lot of time in Proverbs together, hashing out our parenting as we go along.  Some of my favorite verses (that I keep praying for my children) are in the first few chapters:  "Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and do not forsake your mother's teaching; Indeed, they are a graceful wreath to your head, and ornaments about your neck...For length of days and years of life, and peace they will add to you.  Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.  So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man." (1:8-9, 3:2-3).  I can't go to school with her.  I can't hold her when people aren't nice to her.  I can't smooth out the way before her.  But I know Someone who can.  I know that He has promised never to leave her, never to forsake her.  I know that He loves her and that the only pain that He will allow into her life will be the same pain that He will later use to make her more like Him.  I also know that He will give Ken and me wisdom in raising her to be a godly ambassador for our King.  So, I will cry the first day that I drop her off (and probably the next one too).  Then I will take my little man out to his favorite breakfast place and watch him gorge himself on bacon and eggs. I will remember that I have not left Hannah alone.  Her best Friend and constant Companion will be there with her as she colors and plays and makes new friends.  He will remind her of His and our teachings.  Over the years He will grow her into a godly young woman with a shining necklace of grace and truth and a crown of beauty.  I am thankful that He has given me the opportunity to assist Him in this task.  He is my constant Companion too, telling me to trust Him in everything--even pre-school. :)  

2 comments:

Laura Vannatta said...

I don't think you're silly, I think it's normal to feel this way (at least, I can see myself going through these same emotions in your situation...so as 'normal' as I am, you are :) ). She'll do great, she's such a smart girl!

Renee said...

Look whose blog I found? Haven't seen you all in so long! I heard Hutto's voice on the answering machine the other day leaving a message for Andy. I hope you all are doing well! Tell Hutto Andy and I say hello!

"The Lord bless you, and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Fall