Monday, February 16, 2009

A Think-Break




Ken and I just got back from a trip to sunny Orlando--I tagged along while he went to a business meeting.  It was such a nice break!  I didn't realize just how tired I was until we got there.  I slept at least 8-10 hours every night, and it wasn't until the last day we were there that I finally felt caught up on my rest!  We are so blessed to have parents who are willing to take our kids for us for a week at a time!  Ken's parents had them this trip, and it was nice to be able to let go, knowing that my kids were enjoying their vacation as much as I was.  It took me at least a day to de-stress and finally relax!  You don't realize until they are gone how much your day (and life!) revolve around their needs.  I kept feeling like there was something I was forgetting.  It was a great opportunity to refocus on the things that are really important, not just the tyranny of the urgent.  It's amazing, all of the things that I let get crowded out of my mind by my "busyness".  I was so thankful to have time to actually THINK and COMPLETE a thought deeper than, "Wonder what we'll eat for lunch today?" or "When was the last time I took Harry potty?".  So anyhow, I was thankful for the break, and the time to reflect.  It was just the right amount of time, too.  I don't think I could do much more than a week away from them.  We're all happy to be home together!  I'm not sure how long that feeling will last... :)

2 comments:

Tiff said...

Glad you got your rest. It's amazing to just look across the table at your husband and not be cutting up food, doling out ketchup, picking stuff up from the floor, shh-ing, etc. Jad and I don't get time away, really ever, but we take a lot of date nights. At least every other week. We just have to carve it out. In fact, we're steeling off with your sis and bro-in-law in a few nights. There will be wine (a little in my state) and food and laughter! Next time y'all come, we'll find some sitters (a whole group) and "go out"!

Renee said...

Good for you, Abby! So glad you had time alone.

"The Lord bless you, and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Fall