Monday, April 27, 2009

Earth Week 2009






We celebrated Earth Day for the first time this year.  Now, in the past, I have usually scoffed at all of the 'tree hugging liberals" that have celebrated this holiday every year.  However, my heart has begun to be softened towards those who love our earth and I have begun to see the value in cherishing the gifts of nature that God has given us.  After all, Jesus not only came to redeem His human creatures, but to begin to create a new heavens and a new earth!  I can do my small part in this task.  

That being said, how green can the Huttos be?  Our very livelihood depends on poisoning the ground, streams, and insects in an attempt to rid the world of weeds and pests.  :)  Aside from  getting my husband into a new career path, I have been baby-stepping my way into a greener lifestyle.  We have purchased energy star appliances when our old ones have died.  We recycle diligently--we actually reduced our trash output by more than half!  Our recycling bins are always full every Tuesday.  I've been trying to buy eco-friendly cleaning products.  My newest venture is to switch all of my paper towels and napkins to recycled paper only products.

This year we celebrated Earth Day by taking the kids to the Disney movie "Earth".  It was very good, even if it was a little over Harry's head.  Hannah loved it!  Ken also helped the kids plant some flowers and herbs, so they can watch them grow.  We also got 3 fir trees (tiny baby ones) that we will plant in pots until next Spring when they will go in our yard.  Our family goal is to have a compost pile in the near future.  Baby steps, right?! 

2 comments:

Hutto said...

Stewardship of God's gifts is certainly agreeable and righteous.

Ken ever tell you about the encounter with an environmentalist wacko at a party who accused him of poisoning the planet? Was kind of funny, as I recall. She ended up gnawing on her shoe.

Hutto said...

I wonder if recycled paper is better or cloth is better. You'd save money and employ less industry, but you'd have more things to wash.

"The Lord bless you, and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Fall