Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New year, fresh starts

Hannah had "bear week" for the first week of school. She brought a bear she has had since she was a baby and dressed it in an outfit that she wore when she was about 4 months old.






This dude is even creepier in person! Harry really wanted his picture taken with him, but Hannah wasn't too sure. Harry kept saying, "I've seen you on my tv!"




I don't know why, but I always feel more geared up to overhaul our lives in the Fall than I do in January, when the rest of the world is making their resolutions. Looking back over last school year, there were several things I wanted to change. I want to plan ahead more, use my time more wisely, and spend more quality time with my kids.

One thing Hannah and I have been practicing is organizing our time better. Last year our mornings were all in a rush, and usually resulted in crying on both sides! :) One thing I learned about her: she likes to take her time and feels most confident when she is doing things on her own, at her own pace. Last year, I forced her to do things on my schedule, at my pace. I'm not saying that this is all bad--I do believe that children should fit into the life and rhythm of the family, as set out by the parents. However, I also believe in "remembering their frame", and working with them in the way that God has made them. So...Hannah packs her own lunch the night before and lays out her clothes. This way, as soon as she wakes up, she gets herself dressed. After breakfast all she then needs to do is brush her teeth and hair and grab her backpack (which I check every day for homework/notes as soon as she gets home from school). I know this sounds like something I should have figured out pretty quickly last year, but I'm a slow learner. Needless to say, with this new routine our mornings have been peaceful and enjoyable! Harry starts pre-K next week, so I'm hoping to get him on the same schedule as well.

Last week went very well. Hannah really likes her new teacher. She is extremely sweet and patient with the kids--a perfect match for my tender hearted girl! At home, I've been enjoying my one on one time with Harry. It further seals in my heart and mind how much I want to use his preschool time to get my work done, so I can be free to just enjoy him when he gets home. He is one who really blossoms with one on one attention. I've been brainstorming on some fun things we could do together this year. I know my days with him are numbered and I want to use them well.

We ended last week with a trip to our downtown area for one of our monthly "festivals". One thing I love about being in the public school system is the feeling of connection with our community. It's fun to sense that we really are a part of this town, and that we truly care for its people. I am praying that God will work through us to grow His Kingdom in our little corner of His world.

No comments:

"The Lord bless you, and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Fall