Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A day without television...




This is the result of a day without television.  I had begun to notice a pattern in my parenting recently.  I was putting my kids down in front of the tv for an hour each morning so I could "get a few things done".  Instead, I would read a little, check my e-mails, talk on the phone, etc.  So today I instituted a tv ban, more for me than for my kids.  The kids didn't even ask to watch anything, which goes to show who the tv was really serving.  They played play-do, danced to music, helped me clean a little, and played "indians".  We had lunch together as a family, which was rare as I am usually using lunchtime to play catch up on my chores.  And, the most surprising thing of all, I actually got MORE accomplished this morning than I usually do.  So, apparently the tv wasn't really serving any of us well.  I am not anti-tv, but I am happy to know that I don't need it like I thought I did.  Hmm...I'm starting to sound like my mother.

I thought these "Indian" pictures were funny.  As you can see, Hannah has a vastly different impression of Native Americans than Harry has.  I guess Harry has watch Pocahontas too many times.  I'll have to re-educate him on his early American history.  I did make him smile sweetly for one of the pictures.  And I do mean "make", as it was not done willingly.   

1 comment:

Tiff said...

Love it (little indians) and hate the T.V. It depresses me. Too much as a kid, I think.

"The Lord bless you, and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Fall