Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chicago







Every once in a while (like once or twice a year), the kids and I go along with Ken on one of his business trips. We went with him to Chicago a couple of weeks ago. We had so much fun! We drove up on a Monday afternoon. The next day we all had breakfast together, which was such a treat (at home, Ken is already working by the time the kids and I eat breakfast). While daddy worked, H & H swam in the pool--although Harry liked the hot tub much better. I had to limit his time or he would stay in until his cheeks were red! After getting cleaned up, we walked around the downtown area (we were in a suburb a little north of downtown Chicago), and ate lunch, window shopped, and played with the trains at Barnes and Noble. Daddy came back from doing his work and we went to see a movie, walked to lake Michigan (just a few blocks), and got some Chicago style pizza. The next morning we ate some of the most fantastic pancakes/french toast I've ever eaten and headed back home.

It was a quick trip, but well worth it. What I loved most was spending time with my kids and not being distracted by cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. I could actually talk to them! They are getting to the age where they enjoy interacting with me and each other. I love their little personalities, and to hear the way that they process life and think through things. It was such a blessing to my heart--like balm on a wound. We've had a crazy and somewhat sad summer, and the Lord knew I needed some sweet time with the three people I love the most. It was a good break, and a good reminder of what is important in life--what is lasting. I am so easily distracted by the "to do" list around me that I often forget what God has called me to do--to love and serve my husband and children, and to teach my children to love and serve their Heavenly Father. I will always have floors to clean and laundry to wash and toilets to scrub, but I will not always have these precious souls living under my roof. These children are my legacy, my offering to God--they are the work of my hands.

"So teach us to number our days, so that we may get a heart of wisdom...Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands!" Psalm 90:12, 17

3 comments:

Wanting What I Have said...

The second picture - of you and Hannah - she looks JUST LIKE you!

Thank you for the reminder that our children are our legacy, our offering to God. In the midst of a crazy day, I needed to read that.

nicole said...

Wow...I needed a reminder of what God has called me to. The past 16 months have probably been the hardest of my life. It's been easy to lose sight of my calling. Looking forward to Fall Bible study. I miss seeing your smiling face and hearing that wonderful laugh! :-)

michaela said...

Seriously my word verification is 'sperm'. Seems inappropriate for a family blog - but okay - I am like a middle schooler and it made me giggle! Anyway - love Chicago and am glad that you had the chance to get away with Ken and the kids there and I love your post. I am like you and am always distracted by the to-do list and so easily forget that my the work that God has given me to do is to care for my children and husband too. How easily I have forgotten the lessons that we talked through in Genesis last fall.

Sorry that you Summer has been crazy and sad - I can understand why - praying for some calm and fun in your lives right now!

"The Lord bless you, and keep you; the Lord make His face shine on you, and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance on you and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Fall